Nigeria will no longer condone xenophobic attacks on its citizens – Senate President, Ahmad Lawan

The Senate president Ahmad Lawan on Monday condemned the continuous killings of Nigerians in South Africa, warning that further attacks on Nigerians would no longer be condoned.

Report has it that Lawan expressed concern that about 118 Nigerians had so far lost their lives in different attacks over the years, out of which 13 were by the South African Police. A statement by his Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mohammed Isa said Lawan made this known when he hosted the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Bobby Moroe.

 

Moroe and his delegation paid the visit to brief the Senate leadership on his government’s investigations to unravel the causes of the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and steps being taken to stop such. The meeting, according to Lawan became pertinent considering the incessant attacks on Nigerians residing across cities in South Africa.

He said “we in the parliament must speak and prevent any further killings. These killings must stop. This is the era of social media where the corpse of a victim may spark violence that may go beyond the control of the government.

“The South African government must as a matter of urgency do whatever it takes to protect the lives and property of Nigerians living there, just as Nigerian government remain committed to the safety of South Africans residing here and their investments.

I believe we have faced enough, we will no longer take it anymore. We want to write the names of Nigerians killed, and the South African parliament must act fast to put a stop to this menace. Over the years, 118 Nigerians have been killed, while 13 out of these were killed by South African Police.”

While commending the High Commissioner for the updates, Lawan noted that “the update on the cause of late Mrs. Chukwu’s death is heartwarming. It is a sign that something has been done in this regards.”

 

Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

perfectnews

Leave a Reply

Next Post

Court Jails 10 Internet Fraudsters (photos)

Mon Jul 15 , 2019
Pin it Email https://perfectnews247.com/nigeria-will-no-longer-condone-xenophobic-attacks-on-its-citizens-senate-president-ahmad-lawan/#NGthcnR5LmpwZw= According to reports, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has secured the conviction and sentencing of seven internet fraudsters, Wusu Damilare, Salako Oluwasegun Daniel, Odunola Jason, Brian Emeka Ebong, Arinze Princewill, Babajide Mudashiru and Adeshina Afeez Kolawole to one year imprisonment each before Justice Mojisola […]
%d bloggers like this: